Whelks with Maille Vinaigrette
Recipe by: Chef Sebastien Harrison Cloutier, Grumman’78
# of servings: 4
Whelks with Maille Vinaigrette:
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Maille Tarragon Mustard
1 tsp. (5 mL) Maille Old Style Dijon Mustard
1 egg yolk
1 cup (250 mL) vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lemon juice
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) sour cream
1 garlic clove, chopped
½ onion, finely chopped
6 sprigs Italian parsley, chopped
16 oz. (454 g) whelks in brine
Toppings: 1 piece toasted bread per person and olive oil, to taste
1. Combine mustards with egg yolk.
2. Emulsify with oil and beat until it thickens, like for a mayonnaise. Add lemon juice in two phases: halfway through the emulsification process, and at the end of it.
3. Add sour cream, garlic, onion, parsley, and refrigerate.
4. Slice whelks into thin strips.
5. Gently stir in vinaigrette with whelks and serve with a piece of toasted bread topped with olive oil, to taste.