Sweet and Sour Chicken & Pickled Vegetable Fresh Rolls
Recipe by: Chef Maddy Goldberg, Aloette
Prep time: 45 min
Cook time: 15 min
# of servings: 10-15 fresh rolls
For the sweet & sour chicken:
4 (about 400g total) boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Maille Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Maille honey mustard
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) maple syrup
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lime juice
1/2 tsp. (3 g) salt
1/4 tsp. (1.5 g) pepper
1. Mix all ingredients for sauce. Set aside with a brush. Heat barbecue to high.
2. Season chicken with salt. Place on grill and brush the chicken with sauce, covering only the side that is facing up.
3. Cook for 2 min, flip and brush the side facing up with sauce. Repeat until chicken is cooked. About 8-12 minutes depending on size.
4. Remove chicken and set aside to cool while you prepare other ingredients.
For pickled carrot and onion:
1 carrot, peeled
1/2 large onion
1 ½ cup (375 mL) of Maille apple cider vinegar
½ cup (100 g) sugar
¼ cup (62.5 mL) water
1 Tbsp. (15 g) salt
1. Hand blend or whisk together pickling liquid. Julienne carrots by cutting into long thin strips. Cut onion so they are a similar size.
2. Bring cold pickling liquid, onion, and carrot to boil in a saucepan over high heat. When it boils remove from heat and cool in fridge. This can be 1-2 days ahead of time.
For fresh rolls:
10 leaves of napa cabbage*
1 pack rice paper wrappers
Sweet and sour chicken, sliced into long thin strips
Pickled carrot and onion
1 cup (140 g) vermicelli noodles, cooked
1/2 cup (15 g) mint, picked
1/2 cup (25 g) cilantro
1. Cut cabbage or lettuce into long rectangles that resemble the shape of a finished fresh roll. Fill a large round dish with warm water.
2. Submerge 1 rice paper wrap and soak until it is soft, about 45 seconds. If it does not get soft then try using hotter water.
3. Place wrapper on cutting board. In the centre, place 1 piece of cabbage then sliced chicken, pickled vegetables, vermicelli, ripped up mint and cilantro. Fold bottom of wrap over the vegetables. Bring the left side and right side toward the centre and then roll the wrapper away from you. Eat right away, and try using the liquid from your pickled vegetables as a dipping sauce.
*NOTE: Optional substitute: lettuce.