Rob & Audrey’s Porchetta
Recipe by: Chef Rob Gentile, Buca restaurant
# of servings: 4-6
For the porchetta brine:
1.1 gallon (5 L) water
3/4 cup (242 g) + 1 1/3 tsp. (8 g) sea salt
5 Tbsp. (30 g) fennel seeds
3 1/3 Tbsp. (20 g) black peppercorns
1 whole bulb garlic, smashed
1/3 cup (15 g) + 3 ¼ Tbsp. (5 g) thyme
½ cup (16 g) + 2 1/3 Tbsp. (4 g) rosemary
2 Tbsp. (15 g) chili flakes
1/3 cup (17 g) + 2 tsp. (3 g) coriander
1 cup (288 g) Maille Old Style Dijon Mustard
1. Bring all ingredients up to a boil and let steep covered for 20 minutes.
2. Strain, cool down to room temperature, then store overnight in the refrigerator.
3. In a lidded container, cover pork belly with brine and refrigerate for 24 hours.
4. Once pork has been brined for 24 hours, remove from brine, pat dry and rub off any excess spices.
5. Place on a sheet tray skin side up and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight to dry.
For the porchetta marinade:
½ whole pork belly, skin on, cut horizontally
½ cup (131.5 g) Maille Original Dijon Mustard
1 whole head garlic, chopped
½ cup (16 g) + 2 1/3 Tbsp. (4 g) rosemary, chopped
3 ¼ Tbsp. (20 g) fennel seeds, crushed
1. Butterfly the pork belly open from bottom of the belly to towards the loin side.
2. Season the inside of the pork belly with Maille mustard, chopped garlic, chopped rosemary and
crushed fennel seeds.
3. Roll the Porchetta back up and tie with a butcher’s twine.
1. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
2. Place porchetta in a roasting pan with roast rack underneath or rack so the pork is elevated off the
bottom of the tray.
3. Pour 1” (2.5 cm) of water into the roasting pan, making sure pork is not touching water but tray is
covered in water end to end.
4. Cook porchetta for 30 min, rotating twice.
5. Turn oven down to 300°F (150°C) and cook for 2 to 3 more hours, or until internal temperature
reaches 155°F (68°C). Thickness of your porchetta roll will impact the length of time it takes to cook.
6. Once porchetta is cooked, turn oven back up to 450°F (230°C) to finalize crackling. Pay close
attention and rotate pork while under high heat.
7. Once skin is dark golden brown and crispy, remove and rest under foil for 30 minutes, up to 1 hour.
Slice and serve.