Honey Mustard and Cornichon Relish Hotdog Croissant
Recipe by: Chef Rodney Alleguede, Goûter Pâtisserie
# of servings:
1 cup (250 mL) + 1 tsp. (5 mL) milk
4 Tbsp. (60 g) Maille Honey Mustard
2 1/2 Tbsp. (24 g) fresh yeast
4 cups (480 g) + 2 1/3 Tbsp. (20 g) flour
1/3 cup (60 g) suga
½ Tbsp. (8.5 g) salt 1 2/3 Tbsp. (25 g) butter
1 1/4 cup (300 g) butter for lamination
1. In the mixer with the hook attachment, place the cold milk, Maille Honey Mustard and yeast. Add the dry ingredients and the 25g (2 tablespoons) of butter. Mix on very slow speed for 3 minutes and then on medium speed for 7 more. Wrap the dough in plastic and place in the freezer until very cold.
2. Take the butter for the lamination, place it on parchment paper and beat it into a very pliable but cold square.
3. With your rolling pin, roll the cold dough to double the size of the butter. Place the butter in the center and fold the dough to cover the butter.
4. Perform the first fold. Roll out the dough to 60 cm (23.5”) long and 20 cm (8”) wide about. Fold the first 20 cm (8”) over the middle and the last 20 cm (8”) on top. Wrap the dough in plastic and cool it in the freezer for 30 min. Perform a second and third fold. Let the dough cool and rest for at least an hour.
*NOTE: Optional substitute: 2.2 lb. (1 kg) premade croissant dough
Honey Mustard Sausage:
1.1 lb. (500 g) fresh ground fatty pork shoulder
1/2 cup (125 g) + 1 2/3 Tbsp. (25 g) Maille Honey Mustard
6 Tbsp. (90 mL) + 2 tsp. (10 mL) water
2 Tbsp. (34 g) salt
1 Tbsp. (7 g) pepper
4-5 Tbsp. (15-19 g) parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp. (17 g) garlic, minced
Vegetable oil, to taste
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients with your clean hands.
- Make 9 cm (3.5”) sausages of about 70 g (2.5 oz).
- Put oil in a pan, sear the little sausage on all sides.
- Set aside in a refrigerator to cool.
2/3 cup (100 g) Maille Cornichons
3 Maille Onions
1 tsp. (4 g) sugar
1. Chop the cornichon and onion coarsely. Add in the sugar and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
Honey Mustard and Cornichon Relish Hotdog Croissant:
1. With your rolling pin, roll down your dough to about 4 mm thick. Make rectangles of 13 cm (5”) high and 9 cm (3.5”) wide.
2. On the center part of the dough place a small dollop of mustard, then relish and finish with the cool sausage. Roll the dough over and seal underneath.
3. Finish the other croissants and place on a baking pan lined with parchment paper keeping them separated by 3 inches (7.5 cm).
4. Boil a small pot of water. Place the pot in the oven and turn on the light. Place your croissants to proof for approximately 90 min.
5. Once your croissants are “proofed” take them out of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix 2 eggs with a drop of milk and coat the croissants with the egg mixture. Bake the croissants for about 14 min or till golden brown to your liking. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.