Chef Romain’s Steak Tartare
Recipe by: Chef Romain Avril
5 oz. (142 g) beef tenderloin, finely diced
4 crunchy Maille Gherkins
½ Tbsp. (8 g) Maille Dijon Mustard
½ shallot, diced
1 Tbsp. (9 g) capers, chopped
2 sun-dried tomatoes, diced
1 egg yolk
¼ cup (25 g) parmesan, grated
Zest of ¼ lemon
Worcestershire sauce, to taste
Tabasco sauce, to taste
Olive oil, to taste
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 bunch chives, thinly sliced
1 white mushroom, thinly sliced
1 egg yolk
Parmesan, grated, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Sea salt flakes, to taste
1. In a bowl, mix all the “tartare mix” ingredients and taste. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
2. In the centre of a plate, place a large ring cutter and fill it with the tartare mix 4/5th of the way. Push it down and make sure the top is smooth.
3. Add the chives to cover the surface of the tartare and place an egg yolk in the middle.
4. Remove the ring cutter carefully.
5. Finally, place the mushrooms sliced on a spiral all around the egg yolk.
6. Finish with more parmesan, a crack of black pepper and some sea salt flakes, all to taste.