Bang Bang Fried Chicken
Recipe by: Chef Trevor Lui, Pop Kitchen Hospitality, Joybird, Makan Noodle Bar
# of servings: 2
Bang Bang Fried Chicken:
2.2 lb. (1 kg) chicken legs (drums and backs separated)
Canola oil for frying
For the marinade:
1 tsp. (5 mL) Maille Creamy Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Maille Honey Mustard
1 tsp. (5 mL) honey
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) pickling liquid from Maille gherkins
1 tsp. (3 g) chopped garlic
1⁄2 Tbsp. (3 g) chopped ginger root
1 tsp. (5 mL) tamari*
1⁄4 cup (62.5 mL) water
White and black pepper, to taste
*NOTE: Optional substitution: soy sauce
For the batter:
1 whole egg
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) water
1⁄4 cup (48 g) potato starch
1⁄4 cup (32 g) corn starch
1⁄2 cup (65 g) custard powder
For the sauce & garnish:
4 Tbsp. (60 mL) sweet chili sauce
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lime juice
2 bird’s eye chilis, chopped
3-4 Maille cornichons, chopped
2 sprigs chopped cilantro (garnish)
1 sprig chopped parsley (garnish)
1 stalk green onions, chopped (garnish)
Toasted white sesame seeds (garnish)
1 whole lime, cut in wedges (garnish)
1. In a sealable container, add all marinade ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add chicken and ensure the marinade fully covers all the chicken. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and mix thoroughly, leave off to the side.
3. In medium sized pot, add oil to 3-inch (7.6 cm) mark from the bottom up. Heat on high until oil reaches temperature of 350°F (175°C).
4. While oil is heating, prepare dredge station. Mix all batter ingredients in a medium to large mixing bowl.
5. Once oil is to temp, begin your dredging. Thoroughly cover chicken piece by piece ensuring dredge is fully coating each piece and slowly drop chicken into hot oil away from your body. NOTE: if your pot cannot accommodate all the chicken, do it in stages and repeat the process.
6. Fry chicken approximately 11-13 minutes or until internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165°F (75°C). Remove and place on resting rack to drain excess oil.
7. Drizzle sauce over top of chicken and garnish with cilantro, parsley, green onions and sesame.
NOTE: Chicken can be tossed in the sauce or can be served naked with sauce on the side for dipping.
Add lime wedges as extra garnish.