Mastering the art of the sandwich
In Canada, sandwiches are eaten on average more than 3 times a week – that’s an estimated 110 million bread combinations prepared each week! From a Sunday morning BLT to late night gyros, white or wheat bread, sweet or savoury, however you slice it, we’re a nation of sandwich-lovers. Yet, our abundant love for sandwiches doesn’t quite mean Canadians are doing it right. We’re a time-strapped nation with people often eating on-the-go, which makes for hasty mealtimes that overlook the art of the sandwich for the sake of a quick bite.
The truth is, the way you place and layer your ingredients can completely alter the taste of your sandwich and enhance your favourite flavours. Think outside the lunchbox with these expert tips:
- Consider your ingredients: If you have a saucy meat, you will need a thicker, crustier bread (such as a baguette) so it can absorb and take on the flavour of the liquid.
- Balance your fillings: Stick to a range of textures (silky, crunchy, dense, creamy) and flavours (fatty, fresh, spicy, tart) for a well-balanced sandwich.
- Slice fillings down to size to ensure everything stays in place: Thinly-sliced ingredients are easier to bite through and will insure that your sandwich contents never ends up running down your shirt or on the floor.
- Strategize the placement and layering of your ingredients: Meat and cheese should always sit at the bottom (as they are heavier, and denser in general), while your vegetables and crunchy elements are best on top. A strategically-layered sandwich holds together better, ensures your bread never gets too soggy while helping you achieve optimal texture.
- Spread your condiments directly onto the bread to get a burst of flavour in every bite: However, if you’re feeling adventurous, don’t be afraid to switch it up and break the rules! Put your mustard or aioli directly on top of your protein for a complete game-changer!
- And of course, sauce it up! People often reach for mustard to spread on the bread of their sandwich, but did you know that the same beloved condiment multiplies flavours by tenfold when used as an ingredient? A quality mustard, like Maille Dijon Mustard, works as an emulsifier to bind together different tastes. Whether you’re boosting left-overs for lunchtime, or trying a new recipe, Dijon mustard is often the secret to elevating your sandwich. Use our tested-and-true Old Style Mustard or add a dash of sweetness with our Honey mustard. Mix our Dijons with other condiments for extra bursts of flavours!
Check these simple but flavourful recipes to makeover your lunches and tag us on social @maillecanada to show us your favourite concoctions for a chance to win a jar of your favourite Maille mustard!