Fennel-Spiced Ribs with Tangy Apple Mustard Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1kg rib of beef
- Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Maille Dijon Original Mustard
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- Remove the meat from the fridge 1 hour before cooking to allow to come to room temperature.
- Prepare the grill with lumpwood charcoal and set the coals for indirect heat.
- Toast the coriander and fennel seeds in a small pan. Transfer to a pestle and mortar and crush. Add in the salt and chilli powder and mix together.
- Create the sauce by adding all of the ingredients to a pan and bringing the mixture to a boil, which will reduce the paste and allow it to become thicker.
- Rub the beef rib generously all over with Maille Dijon Original Mustard
and then coat with the dry rub.
- Put the beef on to the BBQ grill and seal on both sides turning every couple of minutes. Allow to cook slowly basting with the sauce until cooked to your liking.
- Take the Rib off and put on to a board and wrap with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and enjoying with a mixed tomato salad.
Make sure you cook the meat on the opposite side of the grill where the coals are, this is indirect heat and will cook the meat slower.